Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Clothespins, blankets dancing, grass crackling tickle my toes. Separate white from colored clothes. Fold it neatly, sleeves tucked, jeans hung.
Wash the rice three times, pot always better than damn rice cooker. Distal crease of the middle finger marks the water level
Cross your legs all the time, pants or skirt, keep a hanky in your pocket
Be early in the market to only get the freshest meat, fish, greens. Be loyal to one booth, watch the scales
An hour devoted to prayer, every single day. Whisper your heart's desires
a packed lunch, ready to be placed in my bag
a twenty-peso bill at the top of the television, paperweight
a yellow pad for our weekly letters
a table set at 7, 12, 7
you told me that I would definitely win the Math Quiz bee in 1st grade, so I better get some sleep
you stared at me when I first donned a shoulder bag, said you can't wait till I get to highschool
you were always the prettiest during awarding ceremonies, kept my medals where you kept the jewelries
I was the kid who played, ate, studied, slept, without a care in the world.
Thank you for that time.


Happy birthday grandma, my only mommy. I know you're watching over us and I only want to make you proud. Miss you...

No comments: